100 WAVING KITES
The Welcome is a spectacular series of events and performances celebrating the opening of Aviva Studios, taking place between 11–19 November 2023. It’s a creative takeover of the building, filling every space with music, fashion, art exhibitions, food and more. The programme has been hand-selected by Factory Assembly, a passionate and diverse group of 22 Greater Manchester residents, and is designed to welcome people to explore Manchester’s brand new home for everything arts and culture.
We have teamed up with Get It Done to create an exciting opportunity for young people from 10 Primary Schools across Greater Manchester. Factory International Artists and Facilitators will visit each Primary School, including SEND and alternative provisions, where they will deliver workshops exploring themes of identity and community as well as creating beautiful kites featuring self-portrait drawings by the children.
Get It Done will create an installation using the children’s kites which will be displayed at Aviva Studios during The Welcome. Schools will have the opportunity to visit The Welcome, see the installation and meet Get It Done.
This project is FREE to take part in and takes place in the Autumn 23 term.
How to apply
If this project sounds like something your school would be interested in, please complete our simple online application form.
Priority will be given to schools who will benefit most from the project, including those with higher percentages of students eligible for Free School Meals and Pupil Premium.
- Wednesday 20 September – applications open
- Friday 13 October – applications close
- Schools will be notified in due course
If you have any questions please get in touch with our Creative Learning Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW DOES THE PROJECT WORK?
- Our team of Artists & Facilitators will visit each school and deliver workshops with 2 classes of students over the course of the day.
- Workshops will guide children through the process of making kites using sustainable materials as well as engage them in games, conversations and reflections linked to the themes of The Welcome.
- On each schools’ selected date we will work with one class in the morning and one class in the afternoon. Workshops will last approximately 2-hours with each class.
- This project has been designed for KS2 students. We can work with 2 classes (approx. 30 students per class) from each school. This could be 2 classes from one year group or 2 classes from different year groups.
- Schools will be invited to visit the installation at Aviva Studios on a selected date.
- This project will be delivered across 1 day at each of the 10 schools, between 30 October – 7 November. Each school will be given a specific date within this time period.
- Visits to see the installation will take place between 13 and 17 November and will take place in the morning. Each school will be given a specific date within this time period.
- A FREE Creative Learning Project with all materials provided
- Opportunity for young people to showcase their creations at Aviva Studios
- A visit to Aviva Studios on a dedicated day to see their work and meet Get It Done
- A Creative Engagement Manager who will oversee the project and be a point of contact
- A team of skilled facilitators with experience working with young people of varying needs
- Provide dedicated member/s of staff for the Creative Engagement Manager to contact prior to and throughout the course of the project
- Provide a dedicated member of teaching staff to be present during all workshops
- Provide a dedicated team of staff to accompany students during the visit to Aviva Studios to see the installation
- Organise and cover the cost of travel for students and staff to Aviva Studios to see the installation
- Provide a dedicated and appropriate space for workshops to take place
- Contribute to and complete Factory International’s monitoring and evaluation processes
- Support Factory International in gathering appropriate consent for student participation in the programme from parents and carers